Reese Shipley Kern
Reese Shipley Kern and Rae Madsen Kern Family Story 1989 “I was born May 5, 1922 in Preston, Idaho in the living room of my grandparent’s home. It was a very modest little home by our standards. But it was the best home they had had since they left Switzerland following their conversion to the LDS church.
I learned to ride horses when I was about 2 or 3 years old. we had one old mare that was a particular favorite of mine. I would stand on a fence post and Old Baldy would come up to the fence, I’d get on her and away we’d go no bridle at all. I’d just sit on her and she’d take me around the field. When I was five or six , my Dad built a toboggan with a harness for her. I would take off with the toboggan and before I’d get two blocks down the road, I’d have about 15 kids tacked onto the back of the toboggan on their sleighs and we’d just head down the road. One day we got to the main road through town and it was just a little slick. I tried to get Old Baldy to go across the road but she didn’t want to go. I did it again and she headed across the road only to fall down and couldn’t get up. The road was just glazed with ice, so I got all those 15 kids pulling on her harness and we pulled her off to the side of the road into a snow drift. She was able to get up again, and away we went! I was six years old.
When I was about eight years old I was hired out to one of the ranchers in the Winder area to herd cattle on the open range. I wasn’t very big, and I had to go through a couple of gates before we got to the open country. It was my biggest challenge to open those gates. I had a horse and herded the cattle all day and would bring them in at night. My Dad would usually stop by in the day to see how I was doing, because it wasn’t too far from where he’d carry the mail route. One day I was sitting on a rise overlooking where the cattle were feeding – just sitting there kind of lonesome holding my horses reins. Dad showed up and he got so carried away that he got me home the next day. I remember him saying “Boy, if I’ve ever seen a lonely little kid that was it. That was enough.” It was a learning experience, not because the family needed money, but to learn to work at a very early age. I remember two things from that time. First, it is a wonderful feeling to be in a loving home. Second, when I had responsible job, no one but me was accountable.
The effects of living through the Depression: I didn’t expect much in the way of world’s goods and wasn’t surprised. I learned early that I had to make it alone. There was no financial help available and no educational pattern to follow. My Family was still working through the settlement of the West and immigration from Switzerland. In summary the growing up years taught me: Independence and responsibility, value of good hard work, value of education, to listen to the Lord’s promptings, and commitment and discipline.”
Reese served in the USMC during World War II after graduating form the OCS program and University of Colorado at Boulder. When he returned he worked awhile in Port Townsend before being recalled into the Korean Conflict. He and Rae raised their family in Idaho Falls, Idaho, moving to Richland, WA after 23 years. Reese worked as a nuclear engineer at the Idaho National Reactor Testing Site. He was given the carter to design and build the “Power Burst Facility.”
Reese, together with his wife Rae, served in the Apalachicola Florida Mission, 1997-1998. And then served Denver temple workers 1990-1992, in the Denver Temple Presidency 1992-1995, and then as Temple workers 1995-2007.
In December of 2007, Reese wrote the following words. “While we were in Florida on our mission, Elder Porter bore his testimony that I want to Paraphrase and testify today: I don’t know very much about some things but some things I KNOW:
I KNOW this church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
I KNOW that Jesus Christ and our Father are two distinct people who rule the heavens and
earth.
I KNOW that Joseph Smith is His true and Holy Prophet.
I KNOW that ancient and true gospel of salvation was restored to earth in it fullness.
One of the highlights of Reese’ life has been the calling of Sealer in the Denver Temple. He had been privileged to officiate at the marriages of many Grandchildren and his son Robert.

This the Reese and Rae Kern family picture taken in 2006.
This is Grandpa Kern's saddle. Notice how the boots are placed backwards in the stirrups which symbolizes that the departed one will no longer be riding and is looking back upon his family one last time.
I didn't know my grandpa very well. We lived quite a distance from each other for most of my life. It was interesting to hear the stories that my cousins told about their relationship with him. They all remembered going on long horseback rides with him and having long conversations with him. They really looked up to him, respected him, and loved him. I, on the other hand, was very intimidated (scared) of him, never had a long conversation with him, and never went on a single horseback ride with him. It was kind of sad to hear about the relationship that I might have had. I never even knew most of the things in the life sketch until his funeral. I am very glad to know about the plan of salvation and know that I have all eternity to spend with my grandfather. Even though we didn't know each other well in this life, because we are sealed together we will have another chance at it. While I wish he would have put forth a bigger effort while on earth, I'm sure he thought he did enough. And I have made a note to self that when working on a family relationship you can't assume the other person will make a reciprocal effort, especially if they are much younger than you are. You have to keep pushing and pushing for that relationship. Even if it is harder to get than another similar relationship with someone else.


1 comment:
It was sad.-Tiger
Post a Comment