Thursday, October 30, 2008

Alauna and her tonsils


Just like her siblings; Alauna has health issues. She has the recurring ear infections that seem to be the norm for my kids. She also has the huge tonsils that cause big issues.

I remember when Brandon got his out at age 4; I was shocked at the change. Who would have thought that tonsils could affect so many different areas of his life. Technically it was the tonsils constricting the airway that caused all the trouble. When he got the tonsils out and could actually breathe normally he slept better, felt better, and acted better. Never having had issues with my own tonsils – I never even thought to look at his. When he would wake up at night and start gagging & gasping & crying it wasn’t because he was throwing a temper tantrum, having a bad dream, or just acting like a brat because he was tired; it was because he was actually gagging on his tonsils.

Since that time I have been much more aware of the tonsils and the issues that they can cause. Which is really good since all the rest of the kids have had problems too. With each successive child the tonsils problems have gotten progressively worse. Sean got his out at age 2 at the same time Brandon did before I knew anything about tonsils. Natalia had her hers out at 14 months after a sleep study showed that the reason she was waking up 18 times a night was due to sleep apnea caused by her tonsils. Alauna is the scariest though. She will start awake and gag and gag and she can’t catch a breath. When her nose is congested and she’s choking on her tonsils, it scares me. What if she can’t get enough air? Will she pass out?

In talking to the ENT we have determined to have her on another round of antibiotics. This will be her 6th since June and her 2nd in the last month. The thing is that none of the options are all that great for her right now. Either she can have a tonsillectomy but since she is so young there would probably have to be some reconstruction of the soft palate needed. Or she can be on antibiotics to reduce the inflammation of the tonsils a tiny amount. Or she can just deal with it.
We go back on Nov 13 and the ENT will take another look at her tonsils and ears and then make a decision. By then she will be basically 12 months so we’ll see if that is old enough for the surgery or if she needs to be even older. Or maybe, just maybe, the tonsils will go shrink and she won’t have any issues with them ever again.

At least she won’t be having any ear infections since she is already on antibiotics.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Holy crap! Those are some nasty looking tonsils! Poor Alauna. Hopefully they'll start getting better and not give her so many problems.

Jen Souter said...

Poor little gal! Those look pretty bad! Hopefully she and mom can get past this!

Anonymous said...

Maleise had her tonsils out at 3. She had the same exact issues as Brandon. I hope that whatever you guys end up doing it will all come out fine; i don't hope, I am sure of it.

Erik and Tammy said...

That would be so scary about her breathing. You would never know that you have kids giving you any trouble, you are always so happy and positive. I really look up to you!

Erin Boyle said...

CRAZY PICTURE! I feel so bad for Alauna!

Anonymous said...

Even I think that's gross!

Vickie said...

I'm with Jena!!
I'm surprised it's your kids and not mine. My siblings and I all had crazy tonsil problems but never bad enough for the insurance company to pay to have them removed.

Brigitte said...

ACK! That picture is freaky! That would be so scary to have your kid go through that! I guess it's somewhat normal but still....

So this is your cousin btw, I finally found your blog! I can't believe I didn't connect the dots before. Now I can stalk you regularly and see what you guys are up to. I can't believe how big your kids are! I still remember when you guys were dating and about to get engaged. That seems like just yesterday!

Well... I guess I'll just talk to you two later! :)

Sisters

Sisters
I love how happy they make each other

Brothers

Brothers
These two boys are such cute partners in crime - they do so much together!